The Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) has served notice that the free water supply to homes initiative has ended.
As part of efforts to reduce the impact of the COVID-19 on Ghanaians, President Akufo-Addo announced the free water supply for the months of April, May and June.
Mr Akufo-Addo said in an address to the nation that “The Ghana Water Company Limited and the Electricity Company of Ghana have been directed to ensure the stable supply of water and electricity during this period. There will be no disconnection of supply.”
But the GWCL in a statement issued on Monday June 29 announced that the programme has ended.
Below is the full statement…
GWCL ENDS FREE WATER DELIVERY
The month of June marks the end of the Governments directive to the Ghana Water Company Limited to serve
Ghanaians with water for free as part of measures to curb the rapid spread of the covid-19 pandemic. Customers
of GWCL must please note, that from hence, the payment of water bills will be the responsibility of the customer.
The Minister of Sanitation and Water Resources, and the Management of Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL)
therefore wish to inform consumers and the general public that the last day of June 2020, officially ends the free
GWCL assures customers that, meter readers, and all frontline staff, will continue to adhere and practice in full, all
the protocols to protect themselves and our cherished customers, including cladding themselves in full GWCL
apparel, identity cards, personal sanitizers and face masks, before accessing their premises to read the meters.
1. Landlords and landladies can revert to the arrangements with tenants prior to the free water delivery.
2. Water Vendors can/must resume their normal business after the last meter readings in June 2020.
3. Disconnected Customers who were reconnected to enable them enjoy the free water during the period, must
as a matter of urgency pay their arrears to remain connected.
4. Disconnected customers will remain disconnected until their arrears are settled in full before their supply will
5. All GWCL collection/pay points are opened during normal working hours and Customers can also pay their
bills via mobile money channels with all the telecommunications networks
The Management of GWCL wishes to express its appreciation to all agencies who supported the free water
delivery. Special appreciation to Government for the kind gesture towards Ghanaians.