Newmont was ranked 13th overall in 3BL Media’s (formerly Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s) 100 Best Corporate Citizens list for 2020, moving up from 20th on last year’s list. Newmont was the sole mining company in the top 20 and one of only two miners to make the 21st annual list.
“Consistently strong environmental, social and governance performance is inextricably linked to delivering superior business results and is a key measure of how well our business is managed overall,” said Tom Palmer, President and Chief Executive Officer. “This recognition is yet another indicator of how deeply sustainability and strong, transparent governance is integrated into our culture.”
3BL Media’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens methodology ranks the 1,000 largest, publicly traded U.S. companies on environmental, social and governance (ESG) transparency and performance. 3BL Media’s partner, ISS ESG, conducts the research and processes the ranking based on publicly available information and data gathered by reputable, third party organizations, including Compustat, CDP, FactSet, GRI, UN Global Compact, and the U.S. EPA.
Newmont’s ESG performance has been recognized by several independent organizations:
- For the fifth year in a row, Newmont was named the top gold miner in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) in 2019
- Newmont was the top mining company in FORTUNE’s 2020 list of the World’s Most Admired Companies
- Newsweek included Newmont on its first-ever list of America’s Most Responsible Companies for 2020
- Newmont earned a “B” score from CDP for its 2019 Climate Change and Water Security performance
- For the second consecutive year, Newmont was included in Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index (GEI) in 2020 for its efforts to advance qualified women in the workplace
- Newmont was added to the Corporate Human Rights Benchmark’s (CHRB) 2019 evaluation and was ranked 12th out of more than 200 companies that were assessed against the CHRB’s human rights performance criteria